As we step into the final month of the year, there’s often a sense of urgency - a push to get things tidied up so we can begin the New Year with a clean slate. Sometimes, this collides with the extra jobs some face in the run up to Christmas. These combine to leave us feeling pressured and running the risk of overwhelm.
When we’re busy and the to-do list looks un-doable, our systems get activated. The stress hormones circulate, creating more of a sense of urgency.
Here is an invitation to help you take a break.
Just for five minutes. Go on. Give it a go 🥰
- Step away from the lists and the screens.
- Grab a pen or pencil.
- Set a timer for one minute.
- Close your eyes. Take three deep breaths.
- When the timer goes off, open your eyes.
- Where do you end up looking?
- Keep looking for a minute.
- And then do a quick sketch - keep the pen/pencil on the paper and let it dance!
This isn’t about producing an accurate drawing. Give the thinking mind a break. Notice, breath and be present.
The more we do these little activities, the easier it becomes to access a sense of calm when the pressure is piling up.
Let me know how you get on!
All the best,